How to download Promyze for Visual Studio
The Promyze for Visual Studio extension is available on Visual Studio marketplace. It is solely compatible with Visual Studio 2019.
You can either:
- Download the ".vsix" file and manually install it by launching the Visual Studio extension installation process. The .vsix file can be found on this link: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ProMyze.promyze-vs
- Or, install it directly from your Visual Studio IDE by going to "Extensions > Manage Extensions" and then search for "Promyze".
Once you've installed it, a reboot of your IDE may be necessary to complete the operation.
How to configure Promyze for Visual Studio
You can find the extension configuration panel on "Tools > Options > Promyze > Settings" on Visual Studio.
There are 4 configuration parameters available:
- Host: Which is where the extension can reach your Promyze instance (e.g. app.promyze.com).
- Port: Corresponds to the open port associated to the specified host.
- Secure: When set to "true" the extension will use https to reach the host.
- Key: Corresponds to the API Key associated to a user account. It can be found in the "profile" section in Promyze.
How to show and use the Promyze window in Visual Studio
Promyze for Visual Studio provides a window that can be attached to your IDE's side panels.
This window allows a logged user (with a configured key) to visualize all his spaces/profiles, practices, ongoing sessions and battles.
To open this window, you can either:
- Press "CTRL + SHIFT + P", or
- Go to "View > Other windows > Promyze".
Once the window is opened, you can position it the desired side-panel and it will stay with you throughout your coding experience.
The window is divided in two sections: practices and informations.
Practices are presented in a formatted manner where the line starts with the practice's space, followed by the practice name and categories (between brackets). If a network issue happens, a double click on the node refreshes it.
On the other hand, the informations section presents a list of ongoing sessions and battles.
In each section, a double click on the node opens a new browser tab with more informations regarding the node.
How to use Promyze's editor commands in Visual Studio
After having installed Promyze for Visual Studio, you'll notice that your IDE's editor has been enhanced with a new right-click menu called "Promyze".
This menu offers 3 code-related Promyze functionalities:
- Send the code selected in the editor as a code snippet to the Promyze instance.
- Send the whole editor's current file to the Promyze instance as a snippet.
- Create a new positive/negative tag example in Promyze based on selected code.
- Create a new code correction for the most recently added negative tag.
The result of each functionality can be found on Promyze's homepage.
In the section "External Activities" from which you'll be able to add them to your Promyze workshop.
For (1) and (2), you'll only have one step to perform which is to specify the space where the snippet is sent to.
For (3), you'll have (as showcased in the screenshots) the possibility to either:
- Select an existing practice for the new tag.
- Or, create a new practice that'll be used for the tag.
For (4), you'll have only one step to perform which is to confirm the request. The whole file will automatically be sent to Promyze as a correction for the most recent negative practice tag created in your IDE. Changes will be showcased as Diffs in Promyze.
In order to switch between the two methods, you'll have to simply check the box for "Create a new practice".
After filling the fields, the practice will be automatically created and linked to the corresponding tag.